- May 28, 2008 -- Rebuilt car Powell Street 25 rolls out in revenue
service, painted in 1906-era United Railroads livery.
- June 24, 2008 -- An underground transformer explosion near California and Drumm shut down
California Street service for a while.
- July 13, 2008 -- Powell Street car 12 ran away at Washington and Mason
and derailed while making the turn at Powell Street. Four passengers were
- August 29, 2008 -- Inbound California Street cable car 60 rear-ended
car 59 at California and Drumm this morning. 59 was more seriously
damaged. Crew members on both cars were injured.
- September 24, 2008 -- An elderly lady was hit by a cable car at Mason and Broadway
early in the morning. She died the next day.
- September 28, 2008 -- The The Friends of
the Cable Car Museum dedicated a plaque at Whole Foods Market in Oakland,
which includes the Consolidated Piedmont
Cable Company's car barn and powerhouse at 24th and Harrison. Board member
Don Holmgren, the leading authority on Oakland's cable car lines, spoke on the
- October 16, 2008 -- The Powell Street cable was stopped for most of the day by an
early-morning loose strand.
- December 17, 2008 -- Two people were hospitalized after an SUV ran into car 13 near the end of the Hyde
- January 26, 2009 -- On a drizzly afternoon, an inbound California Street car slid down from Mason to Powell
and clipped an inbound Powell Street car, which was waiting to pick up the rope after crossing the California
Street tracks. No one was injured.
- June 3, 2009 -- A runaway cab hit two cable cars which were laying over on Powell near Ellis. Cars 10
and 24 were not seriously damaged.
- June 10, 2009 -- New Powell Street car 15 made its first test run
on the Powell/Mason line.
- June 22, 2009 -- New Powell Street car 15 went into service after a ceremony
at the Washington/Mason car barn. Mayor Gavin Newsome went for a ride. Byron Cobb pulled grip and Duane Allen was
conductor. This day was the 25th anniversary of the return of the cars after the 1982-1984 rebuilding. Later in
the day Sasha and Malia Obama, the President's daughters, took a ride on the car from Washington/Mason to Hyde
- July 14 - August 1, 2010 -- Motorized cable car 62 travelled to Sacramento
(on a flatbed truck) to be part of San Francisco's exhibit at the 156th annual State Fair.
- December 24, 2010 -- A cable problem caused the California Street cable car line to shut down early for a
planned reconstruction. Muni did not think it was worthwhile to fix the cable when the line was going to
shut down on January 3, 2011.
- March 28, 2011 -- The Powell-Mason line is shut down for refurbishment from March 28 to April 1.
- April 25, 2011 -- The outer portion of the Hyde Street line is shut down for refurbishment from April 25 to April 29.
- February 4, 2012 -- Powell Street car 21 was decorated in New York Giants paraphernalia because of a bet between the
mayors of San Francisco and New York on a playoff game between the 49ers and the New York Giants
- November 4 and 11, 2012 -- As part of the Muni centennial celebration,
Muni offerred special vintage vehicle service on two Sundays
- November 14, 2012 -- As part of the Muni centennial celebration,
Powell Street car 26, painted in a green and cream Muni color scheme used from the late 1940s to the
early 1960s, was rededicated after being rebuilt
- December 28, 2012 -- The San Francisco Municipal Railway's centennial celebration
included free rides for all
- February 6, 2013 -- A Powell street car stopped suddenly when it hit a large bolt apparently jammed in the slot or the conduit.
Five passengers and both members of the crew were injured.
- February 20, 2013 -- An early morning water main break at Filbert and Mason delayed Powell/Mason service till noon.
- August 8, 2013 -- Crews digging up the street on California near Scott discovered a stretch of
California Street Cable Railroad tracks and conduit.
- October 17, 2013 -- The discovery of a mysterious package in Union Square caused the Powell Street cable cars to stop running.
Police told all businesses lining the square to use their back doors. The package proved to be harmless.
- November 25, 2013 -- President Barack Obama visited the Chinatown Recreation Center across the street from the Cable Car Barn
at Washington and Mason to give a speech on immigration reform. All three cable car lines were covered by buses until about 1:30pm.
- May 31, 2014 -- Former California Street Cable Railroad car 11 sold at auction for $87,500.
- June 2, 2014 -- Transit workers unhappy with a net pay cut offerred by management had a sickout on June 2 through 4. The cable cars
were shut down Monday through Wednesday.
- November 16, 2014 -- San Francisco Municipal Railway Powell Street cable car Number One returned to service. It had been built
new, except for the roof, to commemorate the centennial of the cable car in 1973. Its builders tried to reproduce the earliest appearance of the Powell
Street cars. Many of the features that had been lost over 40 years were restored.
- November 13, 2015 -- The Powell Street Safety and Sidewalk Improvement Pilot imposed new traffic restrictions on Powell Street between Ellis and
- December 13, 2015 -- The cable cars were shut down because of heavy rain.
- January 12, 2016 -- Conductor Rey Morante died after being struck by a motorcycle on 11-June-2015. He had been in a coma since the accident.
In June, the motorcyclist pled guilty to misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter and misdemeanor driving under the influence and was sentenced
to one year of home detention and five years of probation.
- January 23, 2016 -- The cable car lines shut down to honor late Conductor Rey Morante.
- March 23, 2016 -- A press release from the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency announced that
Amber Jones is the third person to serve as a cable car gripwoman.
- May 6, 2016 -- Powell Street Car 24 was dedicated to Giants Hall of Famer Willie Mays on his 85th birthday.
- June 15, 2016 -- Powell Street Car 12 returned to service after rebuilding. MSR White Front colors.
- March 19, 2017 -- An elderly pedestrian was struck by an inbound Powell-Mason car at Mason and Filbert. He died in the hospital.
- September 18, 2017 -- Muni operators began to wear new gray uniforms, replacing the old
brown uniforms. Jackets are black or high visibility yellow. The new
uniforms are supposed to be more comfortable in hot or cold conditions.
- September 22-29, 2017 -- Muni shut down the Cal Cable line to replace the gearbox that drives the California Street cable.
The old gearbox dated from the 1982-1984 Great Reconstruction.
- October 1, 2017 -- A San Francisco Chronicle report by columnists Phil Matier and Andy Ross states that cable car ridership fell
by 25 percent between 2014 and 2016. They atrribute it to the $7 fare. "Muni spokesman Paul Rose said inconsistent service and
long waiting lines may be causing people to turn away as well."
- November 6, 2017 -- Jimo Perini, photographer and author, passed away. He was a veteran of World War II. His book San Francisco
Grip is an excellent collection of photos.
- November 28, 2017 -- Powell Street car 22, one of the remaining 1887 Ferries and Cliff House cars, returned to service after rebuilding.
- December 12, 2017 -- San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee died suddenly this morning. The cable cars and all other San Francisco transit
vehicles paused for one minute at noon in his memory.
Go to top of page.
Go to 1869-1906.
Go to 1906-1957.
Go to 1957-2007.
Where & When/
Copyright 2008-2018 by Joe Thompson and Friends. All rights reserved.
Last updated 01-January-2018